Friday, February 22, 2013


Since one of my goals for 2013 is to read every night before bed, I've been finishing books a lot more quickly than I have in the past!  I thought I would start sharing the books I read in case y'all are looking for your next read!


1. Querido Diego, Te Abraza Quiela by Elena Poniatowska
I debated whether or not to share this one with y'all because I'm not sure if there is an English translation.  I read this for my Latin American literature class.  It's written in an epistolary form.  The main character, Quiela, is whiny and helpless.  Needless to say, this wasn't my favorite book ever.

2. Wasted by Marya Hornbacher
This was a really difficult book for me to read.  There were many points where I contemplated not finishing.  It is a memoir that details the authors experience with her eating disorders and mental illnesses.  It wasn't difficult because of the topic, but more because of the emotions that I felt when reading it.  It was definitely good, but not a happy read.

3. Beneath the Glitter by Elle and Blair Fowler
No.  Just no.  Do not pick up this book.  That's all.

4. Cronica de una muerte anunciada (Chronicle of a Death Foretold) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Although I'm reading this in Spanish, I know that many of Garcia Marquez's books are available in English translations, so y'all will be able to pick up a copy!  This book is really interesting and the plot is kind of exciting!  At first I was disappointed because the first sentence of the novel tells what the whole book is about.  But when you get into the symbolism and themes, it's a really interesting read!

What have you been reading lately?
xoxo,
Rebecca

3 comments:

  1. I have a few books on my nightstand right now! I'm currently reading "Lilly: Palm Beach, TropicalGlmour, and the Birth of a Fashion Legend" as well as "Astray" by Emma Donoghue and "The President's Club". I've been trying to read more each night before bed as well!

    SHF
    thechroniclesofs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't read Safe Haven yet, do it! It is wonderful. I also just read The Pact and it was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the Jessica Darling series. The first book is called Sloppy Firsts. They're quick reads and everyone can find a bit of themselves in Jessica. They're witty and I think you'll enjoy them. :) They're some of my absolute favorites.

    xx - Danielle
    missglamdan.com

    ReplyDelete